Australian #2 – Cairns

by Defne
I want to continue my account with "Cairns,"" the second part of our Australian series. Australia is a long way away. You want to see and understand as far as you can when you've gone all the way. So we spent nine days of our three-week trip in cairns and whitsunday. Our trip, which coincided with the second half of October, was the best time to visit the area. Cairns is a city north of Sydney, three hours from Sydney. It's a very popular holiday destination, as it's close to both the Daintree rainforest and the Great Barrier Reef. Vacationing in this area requires being quite adventurous. It's wild because of its nature and its virginity. To enjoy this holiday, you have to love being in nature, to know how to be a part of nature. That's what we set out with. During our five days in the Cairns area, we travelled in caravans and lived in caravans to integrate nature as much as possible. It was a first for us, caravan, and we had fears. But since our caravan is comfortable, and we love to be in nature and we understand how free we are with the caravan, we enjoyed this part of the holiday.
As soon as we got off the plane in Cairns, our first impression was how green the environment was. We immediately felt the rainforest weather as it was light rain and foggy hazy. First we bought our rental trailer. They're giving me a brief briefing on the trailer. Otherwise it's pretty complicated for someone who rents it for the first time. Then we put our stuff in optimum position and set off.
We first went to Kuranda Village, 45 minutes from Cairns. It's a rainforest town. There are "board walk" so wooden roads where you can walk through the forest. A peaceful walk accompanied by trees, silence or just the sound of rain, intertwined in the enormous length of the entwined mountains. When we arrived, we couldn't walk for long because the rain was so heavy. We toured the Koala garden in town, met the cute, lethargic Koala and fed the domesticated Kangaroos. Then we sat in a café and had a bite to eat. Life ends in town after 5:00. All the shops are closed and they go to the shopkeeper's house. In fact, we had a lot of souvenir shops that sold traditional Aboriginal products, but we didn't have time to go on a very detailed tour.
We were aiming to reach the Palm Cove caravan park, where we would stay for the first night before dark. After you shop at a grocery store and stock a few days of food and drink in our trailer. We found Palm Cove easily (thanks to navigation). Here's what caravan parks have in common; There's a reception section at the entrance. You indicate your preference and how many people you are from the section with or without electricity. Usually we paid $40-50 every night for three big two kids. They show you where you are, you park it there, you connect the vehicle to electricity, fill up its clean water and drain your dirty water. Since we're in dinner time, we're just seeing it on the coastline in front of the trailer park.
We're headed for barbecues. Barbecues are free here, as they have been in Sydney before, and here it's as clean as flowers. Even if we were tired after a quick barbeku, we returned to our caravan at the trouble of the rain that was touring the town and going to sleep. We woke up many times during the night with the sound of heavy rain, of course not as comfortable as the bed, but with fatigue, the person sleeps wherever he is. The next morning we woke up at 6:00 in daylight! We were waiting for the weather as if it had rained and the sun was on. We opened our portable table right next to the trailer and prepared our breakfast. After a fast and practical breakfast, we headed to the beach. I'm sorry to the sea, so there wasn't a lot of people in the ocean. There's alligators everywhere, we're a little scared because it's a jellyfish-hit sign. Then it was fun for all of us to tour the town as the town was just awake, spending time in the creative children's park, built on the natural beach sand, of the kind that the children had never seen before. In no time, we set off for Daintree Village. Our goal is to go to the second world war. Staying there at night was spending the whole day there.
Before noon, we reached Daintree Village Caravan Park and parked our caravan. We read online that there were boat tours to observe crocodiles along the Daintree River. We jumped on the first boat right away. The tour, which lasts about an hour, offers the opportunity to monitor nature, observe crocodiles and take plenty of pictures. While it's not easy to contain the children, the trip and crocodiles have attracted a lot of attention. After the tour, we sat in a restaurant for a meal. It's such a small place that there's only one or two restaurants. If you want to try crocodile meat, I recommend an alligator burger. It's soft and beautiful in kangaroo meat. After dinner, we went to the office to get information about the environment. That's when we realized that there wasn't much to do except for the alligator tour around Daintree Village, that we had to go back to Cape Tribulation and spend our days there. We told the attendant at the trailer park that we had changed our minds and we set off again. From Daintree to Cape Tribulation, it takes a short distance to cross the river, no bridge on the river, I guess it's because we don't know exactly how to protect nature. Instead, there's a free ferry service where you can ride your vehicles and cross in 5 minutes. As the roads and nature get closer to Cape Trib, it becomes more wild and more beautiful. We looked online if there was a nice caravan camp on the road where we could stay. But you have to be prepared for the Internet, too, because there's often no internet access in the area. As a result, we decided at the Lync-haven caravan park in the forest. It was a caravan park spread over quite a large area.
It was very different from the trailer park on the first night. We really felt free from civilization and in nature. Dinner was a barbecue in the parking lot again. We were creative at the barbecue and experimenting with different vegetables alongside meat. After breakfast in the morning, we walked one of the walking routes in the park area. A 40-minute walk through the forest was very good for us. Then we set off again. There are many hiking routes along this road. You can stop and walk at one of your favorites. Usually most of them are "board walk", so you don't risk getting lost. We went all the way to Cape Tribulation beach. If you already want to move on later, you need a 4×4 vehicle and I think it's getting wilder now.
The beach was really amazing. A forest of Mangroove trees just behind a white sandy beach. But the ocean was blurry again, not pleasant again. Still, we went out to a short sea with the kids. In the afternoon, we went to a farm in Cape Tribulation for a tropical fruit tasting. Ranchers have a different story. The couple loved this area 20 years ago, where they came for adventure, and they said, "Why don't we buy land here and live in the rainforest! Then they made some trips to the far east, collected the seeds and seeds of all kinds of meatus that they ate there, and spread it indiscriminately on this land. They've watched over the next few years, raising the most grown-ups.
And in the end, 100-odd fruit grows. We only tasted 10 varieties that were in that season. The most interesting thing was "miracle fruit", the miraculous fruit. After spending about 2 hours on the farm, we went to the Cape Tribulation caravan park where we would stay. It was a really great trailer park. We could walk through the caravan park through a small mangroove forest and reach the beach in 2 minutes. Taking long walks on the beach, taking pictures, listening to a head or watching stars when it gets dark is among the activities you can do. And if you find fresh coconut slumped from a tree on the beach, you'll break it and eat 🙂 The next morning, the plan was to continue to Port Douglas and spend the day there. After an isolated, intresive surrounding Cape Trib, Port Douglas is a rather large, bustling and touristic town. The Port Douglas caravan park was 10 minutes from the beach and the town centre. First we spent some time on the beach, then we toured the town and arranged ourselves a Great Barrier Reef tour for the next day.
After eating dinner at a Mexican restaurant in town, we went back to the trailer park. The next morning was a big day. Our journey to the Great Barrier Reef on a very large boat took an hour and a half. When we got there, the boat docked on a reef in the middle of the ocean. We spent about four hours there. This time it was passed by both diving, snorkeling, fishing observation tour with submarines and children, as well as lunch. It was a really different experience. Well, it's not worth going there for diving, but is it worth seeing this formation through the eyes of the world. Although it's much better to see the Great Barrier Reef around Whitsunday, I'll tell you that part soon.
After the tour, we took our trailer and left for Ellis Beach, where we were going to spend our last caravan night. Ellis beach was a really dreamy trailer park. We've officially parked the trailer on the sand. We had nothing but palm trees, a long beach and an ocean. After spending our last caravan night under the stars, we got up and walked on the beach around 5:30 to watch the sun rise in the morning. After breakfast, we packed up and went to Cairns to rent our car, where we would spend four days of our trip, and left the caravan and set off on to Cairns-Airlie beach, a long journey. Airlie Beach and the Whitsundays will be telling us about our adventure in the next article 🙂


Leave a Comment